During his three decades as a family law attorney, John has built a solid reputation for smart and practical representation and an unwavering focus on achieving client objectives.
In addition to serving clients, John has tirelessly worked to improve the overall practice of family law in Allen County. In recognition of these and other efforts, the Family and Juvenile Law Section of the Indiana State Bar Association honored John with its 2008 Gail Phelps Award, the highest honor given by that organization. This annual award recognizes a highly competent attorney who has worked to elevate the standards of professionalism in the area of family law by demonstrating exceptional service to the profession, raising the level of professionalism and civility in domestic relations matters, and exhibiting high moral character and ethical standards. John was the first recipient of this award in northern Indiana.
John has also been instrumental in establishing Collaborative and Cooperative Divorce in Allen County. This is a forward-thinking approach to conflict resolution that focuses on peaceful, fair solutions, minimizes emotional casualties, and preserves dignity for both parties.
John received the Allen County Bar Association’s 2007 Niemann Citation for Excellence and Professionalism and is routinely included in lists of “The Best Lawyers in America” and “Indiana Super Lawyers”. He serves on the Executive Committee of the Allen County Bar Association’s Family Law Section and formerly chaired that committee.
He is a member of the International Academy of Collaborative Professionals, and Indiana State Bar Association.
John’s civic contributions span a wide range from arts and education to law related organizations. A few of his positions include:
- Allen County Bar Foundation, past board member
- Allen County Bar Association, board member
- Concordia Lutheran High School Educational Foundation, board member
- Fort Wayne Municipal Building Corp., board member
- Collaborative Family Law Solutions, past president
- Citizen Advisory Board, Allen County Court Appointed Special Advocate ("CASA") Program, past president
- Fort Wayne Museum of Art, past president and board member
- Allen Circuit and Superior Courts Mediation Day program, past chair
- Allen County Judicial Nominating Committee, past member
- State of Indiana Child Custody and Support Advisory Committee, past member
- Curriculum Opportunities and Resources for Educators, Inc, ("CORE"), past president
- Stop Child Abuse and Neglect ("SCAN"), current board member
- Fort Wayne Police Department Merit Board, current member
Admitted to Indiana State Bar – 1978
U.S. District Courts for Indiana (Northern & Southern)